Thursday, October 1, 2026

Elizabeth By Jessica Hamilton

Elizabeth
By Jessica Hamilton
1978 Sphere
Paperback, 157 pages


                This is one of the most brilliantly written books that I have ever read. Every word is perfection, every paragraph a work of art. Yes, I also enjoy reading Grade-Z tripe but when I come across something like this, it is a truly magical experience. This book also goes a long way towards proving to me that I’ll always have a lot more in common with an evil 14-year-old girl than with men who are supposedly my peers.

 

                Elizabeth is fourteen and on vacation with her parents when she first sees Frances in a mirror. Frances is a long dead witch who wants Elizabeth to know of her bloodline… and her powers. After her parents die that same day (hmmm, how’d that happen), she is taken to live with her grandmother, her uncle James, his wife and child, and a tutor. Frances is there too, in the mirrors. Elizabeth’s powers grow and people who get in her way have a habit of disappearing.

 

                Jessica Hamilton is a pseudonym for Ken Greenhall, and this was his first novel. The short novel is filled with despicable characters and uncomfortable situations for the reader. As Elizabeth wields her powers, her sexuality being one of them, she puts her uncle under her spell and keeps him under her thumb with favors. None of the incestual pedophilia is spelled right out, nor is much of the violence or other sexual situations in the book, but you know it’s there. The story is told by Elizabeth in first person and her mind is complex, calm and indifferent to everyone except Frances. Her asides to the reader can be humorous or chilling, often at the same time. I guess it says something about my own disturbed mind that I felt a solid kinship with the cold and empathy-free Elizabeth throughout the narrative.

 

                An absolutely stunning piece of literature. I went back to admire some lines again and again. I wish I had the power to write something so powerful. Forget the online reviews by myopic cretins who didn’t understand it. They don’t deserve Elizabeth or Greenhall. This book is brilliant. Thanks to the good folks at Valencourt Books, it is back in print.

No comments:

Post a Comment