Friday, April 1, 2022

The Dark by James Herbert

 

The Dark

By James Herbert

1980 Signet

Paperback, 314 pages

 


    I first read Herbert’s The Rats as a teen way back when and I fell in love with it. For a while, I grabbed every book of his that came out. The problem is, apart from the subsequent rat novels (Lair in 1979 and Domain in 1984), much of Herbert’s work doesn’t fully satisfy me. I find that he is prone to overwriting; a problem for someone like me with the attention span of a two-year-old.

    I only recently got around to The Dark; a novel considered to be a masterpiece of horror fiction. And it is very good. It is filled with gruesome set-pieces and enough gore to satisfy even a jaded gorehound like me. The Dark is essentially the collected evil of humans, an energy force that feeds on a person’s own insecurities and bad thoughts. Obviously, this can lead to psychosis, murder, suicide and just downright nasty behavior. There are some truly cruel ideas in this book. That is a good thing. This is a horror novel. Look for the main character’s mental-hospital-resident wife fucking with his head while under The Dark’s influence. Brutal.

    True to form, however, Herbert overdid it just a bit. The climactic ending starts with 100 pages left in the book and I started struggling; I just wanted to see how it ended. This caused me to put the book down and go to sleep a few times while in the stretch run. But overall, I give The Dark a thumbs up. In my worthless opinion, it is probably his best non-rodent book.

This review originally appeared in Midnight Magazine #7 (Jan. 2021)

Midnight Magazine

Books of Horror

No comments:

Post a Comment