Friday, February 2, 2024

The Accursed By G.S. Burdick

 

The Accursed
By G.S. Burdick
1982 Playboy Press
Paperback, 256 pages

 


                I’d had this book on my shelf for over a decade. One night, I just grabbed it and dug in. Hey, wait… no gore? No lurid sex? No dinosaurs? Am I going to like this? Yes, I did.

                More medical thriller than horror, the story follows a pair of divorced (from each other) plastic surgeons whose high-end clinic is having an unlucky streak. A nurse going ballistic on a patient, unexpected heart failure, the woman half of the team, Dr. Rebecca Meehan, getting assaulted, and more misfortunes befall the clinic. Rebecca thinks they are all related but that couldn’t be! Could it? Her partner, Dr. Nicholas Christoff thinks not, but after a few more incidents, even he starts to wonder.

                I’m not sure who G.S. Burdick is; I can find no information or other books by him/ her. The female characters, like Dr. Meehan and Detective Anita Lopez, are brilliantly written, so I’m leaning towards a woman writer. So many nuances, warts and all, are believably written. The re-budding romance between the estranged doctors is handled delicately and with sensitivity.

                So, the cover. A 3-headed dog. Cerberus. Obviously, that’s why I bought the book. Well, he does figure into the story a little, as does a large helping of other Greek Mythology, but it’s not heavy-handed and Burdick makes it work. Not as much suspension of disbelief is needed as you might think when I mention ancient Gods and their descendants, a Cyclops and good ol’ Cerberus.

                Stepping outside of my comfort zone gave me an excellent read and a palette cleanser between nature-strikes-back novels. But yeah, I bought it for that kick-ass cover. I admit it. No idea who painted it, though.

  Midnight Magazine            

No comments:

Post a Comment