Saturday, December 2, 2023

The Pet By Charles Grant



The Pet

By Charles Grant
1986 Tor Books
Paperback, 343 pages

 

I have a bunch of Charles L. Grants books in my To-Be-Read pile. I’m a huge fan of his Shadows anthologies and have grabbed a few of his novels, hoping they would be as rewarding. The thing is, his novels are thicker books than I usually enjoy, so they’re often passed over in favor of quicker reads. Well, I finally bit the bullet and read one and I’m glad I did.

 

The Pet is two things: it’s a horror story and a high school drama. Don has a fucked-up home life and his only comfort in being in his room with his animal posters and figures of wild beasts. I can relate, though I had pets as a kid… he’s not allowed to. His school friends are few and, like all teenagers, he likes someone but isn’t sure if she likes him. Oh, and there’s a serial killer in the town.

 

Yeah, there’s a lot going on in this book, but Grant keeps it focused and moving along at a nice pace. I was really rooting for the romance to bloom amidst the mayhem, too. (Hey, I’m a sucker for that stuff.) I thought I had it all figured out about 100 pages in, but I was wrong. Oh, so wrong. The supernatural is very much at play in the second half of the story.

 

There’s some decent bloodshed, gripping suspense and urgent action but none of it will work for you if you don’t really suspend disbelief. Let yourself go and enjoy the ride. By the way, the book is good enough that I read it faster than many shorter ones. It kept me eager to see what happened next. Maybe I’ll pull another Grant book out of the ol’ TBR pile soon.


Midnight Magazine

Books of Horror Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment